Decorative mouldings are a fantastic way to add elegance and character to any space. Mouldings are detail strips of wood or polymer that are used to add stunning finishes and highlights to areas of a room like walls, doors, windows, and ceilings. With their unique shapes, profiles, and designs, decorative mouldings can bring a sense of style and sophistication to any room, transforming it from an ordinary, dull space to an extraordinary, stunning masterpiece. In this article, we are going to explore how to adorn your living spaces with decorative moulding and add an air of elegance and style to your home.
1. Types of Mouldings – Decorative mouldings come in various types. The most common types of mouldings include crown moulding, baseboard, chair rail, wainscoting and window or door casing mouldings. Crown mouldings are used at the top edge where the ceiling meets the wall. Baseboards are installed at the bottom of the wall, and a chair rail is the strip running horizontally on the wall. Wainscoting gives walls a paneled look, while window casing mouldings are used to highlight the window frames and sills. The wide range of moulding types means you can mix and match them to create unique looks to suit your tastes and preferences.
2. Select the Right Style – Choosing the right style of moulding is essential. Modern homes look great with simple, straight-lined moulding profiles, while traditional or classic homes will do best with intricate moulding profiles that create depth and texture. When picking a style, you should always consider the overall look of your home and see which mouldings would complement it. The variety of mouldings styles available means you can have something that suits you regardless of your tastes and preferences.
3. Height of Placement – The height that you install your mouldings can make all the difference. Crown moulding projects an elegant look when installed closer to the ceiling, while chair rail and wainscot panels provide a more inviting atmosphere when closer to the floor. The location of your mouldings also depends on the ceiling height. Remember that higher ceilings match better with larger, wider profiles.
4. Combination of Light and Shade – Moulding can create an effective combination of light and shadow, which works great to bring out the best in any space. When used together with a wall color, mouldings create a sense of depth, dimension and character. The combination of light and shadow, which can be defined by the style the moulding is cut from the shape, creates an incredible transformation in any room.
5. Enhance Your Décor – Moulding is a decorative element that can add a unique style to the existing décor. With warm wood tones, decorative mouldings can help highlight the design of a room considerably. You should always choose a wood type whose color complements the style and finish of the furniture, walls and floors in your room. The right moulding can highlight and elevate all the features within your space, from your windows to door casings, to wall joints to shelving.
Decorative mouldings are an affordable, subtle and eye-catching way to enhance your interior décor and create a unique style. Whether you mix and match mouldings or stick to one type, the plethora of different styles and profiles available means that you have a vast array of options to choose from. Try out different combinations of mouldings and see what works best for your home. The perfect moulding can give your home a sleek, elegant and sophisticated look, turning your spaces into beautiful works of art.